Saturday, April 14, 2007

Step one: purchase book

I finally bought the book! At least the first volume -- Swann's Way, the 2004 Lydia Davis translation. I based my decision on aesthetics. If I have to lug a big book around with me for months (for it will take me months to read) it had better be beautiful. That it's the most recent translation is a side benefit, though who knows if that means it's the best translation.

You know those people who show up to book group not having read a page of the assigned book? I remember one such woman who then went on to declare that she didn't even like reading that much. Well, I'm the opposite. I'm supposedly in a book group, at least I get the e-mailed announcements. And I read the assigned book. But I never make it to the actual meeting. That's why I love this online book group. I'll read the book... eventually. But I don't have to make special arrangements so I can travel to some inconvenient location in Brooklyn on a Tuesday night.

Months ago I read Golden Country by Jennifer Gilmore and was swept away into her world. Since then I've been craving more fiction (I went for a long time without reading fiction) but have been flummoxed by all the choices. This one? That one? How to decide? I just needed a little shove in one direction.

I always loved reading as a child but stuck with picture books a little longer than most kids because I didn't want to give up the illustrations. Once I started chapter books, though I was obsessed with narrative. Madeline L'Engle especially -- remember those books? Later on in middle school I would get in trouble for reading novels during math class. Couldn't put the book down.

Sorry for the rambling post. It's 3 a.m. here. My son isn't sleeping well tonight and so now I'm not, either.

3 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Excellent! Except about Jasper; I'm sorry to hear you have both been up in the night. The different translation will give us a variety of perspective.

jane maynard said...

adriana - I feel sort of like a "peeping tom" on you and your friends... :) but what a fun group you've all begun! I wish I could commit to reading proust, but I'm already in a book club, so probably not going to happen. but I love everything you write! please share the exact madelieines quote... sounds like it must be good!

I'm actually quite addicted to fiction... I have some AMAZING recommendations... would you like me to post them here? or just email me if you're interested... weeklydinners@gmail.com

thanks for letting your blog be open to the public so I can see all the great things you all have to write! :)

Christie said...

Just wanted to say that I was (and still am) a huge fan of Madeline L'Engle. I would actually say that she is one of my all time favorite authors...her novels meant more for adults are absolutely incredible. And I relate to the three a.m. wakefulness, as well. Between my two and three year old, I still feel like an entire night of sleep is a luxury. I do have to say that you put your sleeplessness to better use than I usually do - I have to admit to turning on Nick at Nite for company. :) Anyway, I'm glad we're all sort of in the same kid-boat during our literary/book clubbing aspirations!